How to Setup Ruby on Rails with Windows?
Requirements: Windows OS (10/8/7), Ruby Installer v2.3 or upper
At first, we need to install Ruby on our system.
- Go to Ruby official site http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/ then download the latest version of Ruby, then install it on your specific location.
#=> After installing ruby check the version
$ ruby -v
ruby 2.3.1p112 # Or somthing like this
- Then download Development Kit from the same link as above.
- Create a folder which called devkit inside the Ruby folder
- Extract downloaded devkit inside the devkit folder
- Run command inside the devkit folder
$ ruby dk.rb init
$ ruby dk.rb install
- Run command inside the ruby folder “gem install rails”
$ gem install rails
#=> After installing rails check version
$ rails -v
- Create rails project
$ rails new project
#=> After created project then below command
$ cd project
$ bundle install
#=> Configure database
$ bundle exec rake db:create
$ bundle exec rake db:migrate
$ rails server
=> Booting Puma
=> Rails 5.0.6 application starting in development on http://localhost:3000
=> Run `rails server -h` for more startup options
*** SIGUSR2 not implemented, signal based restart unavailable!
*** SIGUSR1 not implemented, signal based restart unavailable!
*** SIGHUP not implemented, signal based logs reopening unavailable!
Puma starting in single mode...
* Version 3.10.0 (ruby 2.3.1-p112), codename: Russell's Teapot
* Min threads: 5, max threads: 5
* Environment: development
* Listening on tcp://0.0.0.0:3000
Use Ctrl-C to stop
- Open the browser. Write “localhost:3000” on address bar and press Enter key.
That’s all! Enjoy development/programming with Ruby on Rails 🙂
After Yii installation on IIS then developer face problem to run the demo application. And following error message appear in-front of them
“Application runtime path “C:\inetpub\wwwroot\projectname\protected\runtime” is not valid. Please make sure it is a directory writable by the Web server process.”
To solve this issue
1. Open IIS manager and select the project folder name from all available sites
2. From right pane “Actions” please select “Edit Permissions” and then give full permission to user “IUSR” and then save and restart IIS
Reload your URL and see the result.
Here I am going to post my Wiki post from Yii Framework forum. I hope this will help all.
Here I am describing how you can install and update Yii in WAMP sever.
Follow the following step by step procedures to find your destination-
Step 1: Assigning PHP engine location path in system variable
Step 2: Create project folder under “www”
Just create a blank folder in “www” that should be your project name. i.e “bid” You can also make this using command window. For this-
- Open command window
- C:>cd wamp\www\
- C:\wamp\www>mkdir bid
Step 3: Download Yii framework and put into www directory and install the framework for bid project
Now you are ready to browse your project by accessing the URL : http://localhost/bid/
If you want to use this installation for multiple project then just copy “bid” folder and past and rename with your project name. Its better if you make “bid” folder as your backup project folder then when you need to work with a new project then just you need to copy and past this folder and rename to your new project name.
If you want to install an updated version of Yii framework then please download updated version zipped folder from “http://www.yiiframework.com/” and unzip. After unzip the file just copy the framework folder and then go “yii” folder under “www” directory and just replace previous framework folder with latest one.
Enjoy and explore Yii………..